We have successfully tested the render process on machines with 16GB of RAM and now only requires Adobe After Effect 2015.3. We now also supply the plugins needed. This should allow us to bring more machines.
In a testing on 2.3 Ghz i7 Mac Mini (late 2012 model) with 16GB of RAM, it will take around 360 hours to render 10 frames or 36 hours per frame, so make sure you can dedicate that time. But 10 frames will earn you a great set of perks from the film.
For each frame (the film is 24 frames per second and this sequence runs around 40 seconds i.e. 960 frames) you render successfully, you earn $24 of donation value. 10 frames will get you a lovely set of perks from the film – check them out here. And bragging rights to render part of the most complex multiplane animation in film history as well as containing the largest composite image (by factor of 8 i.e. 8.6 Terapixels!!!) in history.
The catch? If you think your machine is fast, well this render will make it hurt, hurt real bad. Render are 1 to 3 days PER FRAME on fast machines. And you will need these items.
- A signed NDA in-saturns-rings-nda-v3
- Adobe After Effects 2015.3 Mac or Windows
- A fast machine – quad core, recent CPU, at least 14GB of RAM, an SSD – there are 5 million small PNG files (the individual galaxies) that bring spinning hard disks, even RAID, to their knees
- Notably, a fast CPU is much more important than graphic card – render does not use the GPU at all so just a basic discrete GPU will work fine
- Battery backup and cool running system recommended.
- Time! 🙂
Contact me if you would like to become part of animation history!